Emily Johnson is one of the founders of Tutorlist, a platform for experienced K-12 tutors to start, build, and manage a business. Previously she led enterprise products at LearnVest, a fintech startup sold to Northwestern Mutual in 2015, and was the third employee at AppNexus, an adtech company last valued at $1.2 billion. She has a BA in Geology from Princeton.
In this episode, we focus on marketing strategies and revenue. Some highlights include:
* Building a membership-based revenue model, including how to use a “free-mium” model, along with a paid model
* Lead generation
* The marketing challenges Tutorlist faced and how they overcame them
* The vetting process for choosing tutors
* Event planning as a part of marketing strategy
* The importance of not discounting traditional marketing methods (and when your business should consider using them)
* Why you should consider a revenue model that’s different from your competitors
* A lively discussion on running your business vs. being an expert
* Choosing the ideal partners
* Marketing recommendations for a B2C business model
Do you think the Sassy Strategist Podcast rocks? Please leave a review on iTunes (and don’t forget to subscribe, too).